a round-up of Culture Makers I’m following and reading and LOVING
I get asked a lot who inspires me, who I’m following, what gives me joy, what I’m reading.
So here’s a quick (and not exhaustive) list of culture makers who are currently influencing and DELIGHTING me:
- @broobs.psd Ruben Guadalupe Marquez (Broobs). I love his iconic digital collages celebrating some our most brilliant countercultural heroes and artists. His riotous, joyous, unapologetic feed makes me so happy. Here’s a snap of some of Broob’s recent work.
Broobs does commissions too, and I commissioned him to do one of me. Here it is:
- I’m also loving @holywomenicons. Are you sensing a pattern here? Apparently revolutionary folk art iconography is my jam. Holy Women Icons is spirituality and self-care through the lens of social justice — which is something TRULY NEEDED.
- The Nap Ministry. This is a MOVEMENT, founded by Nap Bishop/performance artist Tricia Hersey, about liberating our bodies and lives from the cult of productivity because we are humans, not “human resources” to be exploited. And so, we nap. I’m in.
- On Toi Smith’s recommendation (she’s the founder of Smith Biz Partners, The Black Women Game Changers Fund, and Black Women are Love), I read Revolutionary Mothering: Love on the Front Lines, edited by Alexis Pauline Gumbs, China Martens, and Mai’a Williams Gumbs, Alexis Pauline. It was SO AFFIRMING — and revealing — in so many ways. Highly recommend.
- I also got my hands on an advance copy of Feminism: A Key Idea in Business and Society by CV Harquail (thank you CV!!!), and it is so.damn.good. I feel like we’re sisters from another mother. This is literally the textbook on the PRODUCTIVE intersection between feminism and business. It’s essential reading.
And, finally, LIZZO. Oh my goddess, Lizzo, who asks us, “Why men great til they gotta be great?” (My answer: patriarchy, baby.) Go now and get her album. Juice is my pump-me-up anthem (if I shine/everybody/gonna shine) and Truth Hurts is my very favourite. She makes me wanna google the Minnesota Vikings and figure out who they are and what they play. Almost. I’m pretty sure they’re not a women’s soccer team so who are they, really? Is anyone googling anyone who’s not Megan Rapinoe? I digress.
love + justice,